A long winter of fires can have smoke and soot waft out and leave the stone dingy. You don’t need a pro to put the sparkle back in your natural stone fireplace. Here’s how to properly clean stone fireplace surrounds.
Eliminating these accumulations on an ongoing basis—a relatively easy and inexpensive task—is the best way to maintain the beauty, efficiency, and safety of your hearth. Now that the cooler weather is nearly behind us an Spring is here, this will help you get your fireplace looking great again.
How To Clean a Stone Fireplace?
Use this procedure to protect living spaces surrounding your fireplace and pre-clean the firebox.
Materials and Tools Needed
- Drop cloths
- Plastic tarp
- Small shovel (15 to 30 inches long)
- Metal container
- Dust mask
- Plain water
- Vacuum cleaner with brush attachment
- Allow your fireplace to cool for a minimum of 12 hours after extinguishing the last fire. Then lay drop cloths on the floor around the fireplace and a tarp over nearby furniture to protect them from cleaning fluids and airborne dust.
- After donning gloves and a dust mask, use a small shovel to scoop up the remaining ashes from the firebox. Place ashes in a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Fill the container with plain cold water, close the lid, then store it outside the home away from other flammable materials until you’re ready to discard them.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to siphon dust from the fireplace surround, moving from the top to the bottom. This will reduce accumulations on the stone surface and speed up your cleaning.
Follow Fireplace Preparation With Your Routine Cleaning
During seasons of regular use, go through these steps for how to clean a stone fireplace on a weekly basis to remove light to moderate accumulations of soot, dirt, and grit that collect on the fireplace surround with each cozy night by the fire.
Table Rock Company
Table Rock Stone Company was born out of a desire to meet the demands of a discerning eye in today’s stone marketplace. Our customers have come to expect luxurious appeal and timeless quality while being fully sustainable and environmentally responsible. We have a passion for our product and it shows in our attention to detail. If you have any questions about natural stone or would like to find a natural stone supplier near you, contact us by clicking HERE.
If you have any questions about natural stone and fireplace products we offer and that would like to discuss with one of our Table Rock professionals, contact us by calling (402) 408-1830 in Omaha or (402) 499-2634 in Lincoln. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to serving you!